Wednesday, June 25, 2014

... the growth of the garden...

“Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.” ~ Rudyard Kipling

This morning I have flowers on my mind. There were a few blooms to greet me and I couldn’t help but take a step back and be pleased at my progress over the last four years. My townhome was built at this point and there was absolutely nothing, not even mulch in place. With very little knowledge but a whole lot of enthusiasm, I began adding to my garden. Because I’m in the USDA Zone 7, and because I don’t have a great deal of shaded areas, some of the beautiful and vibrant blank blooms aren’t an option for me. I find myself attracted to reds and purples, so you’ll find those colors there. I also find myself adding little garden trinkets into the garden. I have a full skull planters; some whirligigs of a hearse, bat, and vampire; and, I have a few other pieces of signage and Halloween stakes which I keep out year round (except I do bring them in during the winter months when it snows).  

Salvia and Heart Attacks
My front yard is mostly shade until about July when the sun has moved and it becomes closer to full sun. The poor little Bleeding Hearts and Columbine dry up about that time. My side yard has morning sun and I find it is an excellent place to grow perennial hibiscus. If one can’t have dark and moody blooms, the big odd ones are just perfect. My backyard has full sun year around. I’ve designed it so that the plants nearly cover the backyard fence and it becomes very secret garden-like. I recently bought that Funeral Coach and although it’s sitting on a bookshelf in my house, I have toyed with the idea of moving it into the backyard. We’ll see. And while he’s rather difficult to see, my fella’s mother gave me an owl garden feature. He lights up an eerie green at night.



Perennial Hibiscus




4 comments:

  1. You have a dark purple oxalis almost like mine! :-) I have mine at work in my office (right next to me, at the moment), and while it's a bit straggly, MUCH less lush, and isn't blooming, it's definitely the same type as yours, although the purple is darker around the edges and lighter in the center. I have a green one also, on top of my desk shelves, that is bigger and blooms a LOT. They both get the same amount of light... I wonder why they're so different? Anyway, I'm a fellow goth gardener, glad to meet you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Lucretia!

    I actually had to search for information about the oxalis because it was in the *wrong place* at the greenery and instead of asking while there, I went ahead and purchased it anyway. Much of my gardening experience has been trial by error. Sometimes I'm just so happy the plants come back :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. Most of my gardening is trial by error, especially since I went from a full-sun space to mostly shade. I had a large community garden plot for about seven years, but finally gave it up; $125/year is a bit expensive, and I got tired of the politics. Politics in a GARDEN... Really????

      So now I just have a small garden in my apartment's back yard. Unfortunately, I have to share it with the backside of the laundry room and the boiler/pool machinery room. But it's mine, and I don't have to pay extra, and there's no politics! Works for me. :-) I've got some pics posted on my blog if you ever want to check, although they're a bit old now. I've got to post more new ones! :-)

      Delete
  3. I've just stumbled across your blog so even though this is last summer's post I wanted to compliment you on your many beautiful flowers! I'm in zone 5 (actually behaves like a 4) and am just getting my spring crocus up. I'm anxious to get more perennials up and get to work!

    ReplyDelete