Saturday, November 1, 2014

…home for the holidays…



Halloween isn’t one day. It’s a lifestyle. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know that that reads a little cheesy but my home is decorated for Halloween 365 so I don’t put up or take down any decorations inside of my house. My outdoor decorations are a bit modest in comparison. A few peeping lights in the bushes, a wreath, and pumpkins. I do like the little pumpkin holders that I have. One is a skeleton body and one is a spider body.
Halloween is also a season that for the last five years my fella and I have celebrated throughout October with trips to our nearby theme parks, Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion, and local farms to pick out pumpkins. This year we attended one party at a neighbor’s house which was fun because he’s part of a paranormal investigation team so they take Halloween quite seriously! So seriously that the party was the second weekend of October to enable their Halloween to be free for “work”. Tonight we’re heading out to a friend’s party so our holiday hasn’t quite ended.
 
 

We, of course, also got married on October 26th which was the best way to kick off the week of Halloween (a more detailed post to come but I’m still catching my breath!) My best friend and I also had the best time at my bridal shower which included a theme park haunt event. The month has been go! go! go! so I was really looking forward to a relaxing Halloween night at home.

I started my morning by giving a tour of Hollywood Cemetery to my best friend and daughter who is being home-schooled. The leaves are just starting to change and the place looks amazing! I then went to see The Book of Life at the movie theater. I was the ONLY person in the theater! Then when I arrived home, my new husband mentioned that he wanted to see his friend’s band play right down the road. After handing out candy to trick-or-treaters, we head to Ashland Coffee & Tea to see The Taters Noche De Los Papas Halloween Show. Their entire set was Halloween related and they even admitted that some of the songs were a stretch. From theme songs to The Munsters and Scooby Doo, and versions of Zombie Jamboree, You Put A Spell On Me, Monster Mash, it was the perfect Halloween night listening music. This is exactly what I want the world to be like everyday-- folks dressed up in costumes, people playing silly pranks while laughing, neighbors handing out candy, everyone simply having fun. I don’t understand why the holiday ends and everyone’s sense of whimsy goes *POOF* along with it. The night ends and everyone forgets that on one day, Halloween, they loved my bat décor and jewelry. But as Dickens writes, I will honor Halloween in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. Okay, that’s a slight paraphrase but you get the gist.

Happy Halloween!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day. I'm always a little melancholy when it ends though.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds like en eventful Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We slept in until 11am the next morning... and we never do that! I think this year was a whirlwind of activity. Must find time for quiet contemplation.

      Delete
  3. Yes, those of us who Live the Season pretty much year round are hard pressed to make it look 'different' during the actual Holiday to the casual observer anyway *winks*. But each year I try to add something Fascinating to the mix and indulge all of my Decorating Fantasies by bringing them to Life during Halloween and Dia de los Muertos and then pretty much leaving most of them up for the rest of the year! *LOL* I do Hope you'll take a tumble down our Halloween Rabbit Hole... I made it to the Professor's Challenge just in the nick of time... but Thankfully had completed the Assignment before I even knew there was one... sounds positively Psychic doesn't it? *smiles*

    http://bohemianvalhalla.blogspot.com/2014/10/halloween-blog-party-2014.html

    Dia de los Muertos Blessings coming to you from the Arizona Desert... where we've spent the weekend paying Homage to our Dearly Departed... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween and congratulations on getting married! What I can see of your dress looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete