Wednesday, December 24, 2014

...doing Christmas right this time...


'Cause it's r-s-v-p
No thanks, no party lights
It's Christmas Eve, gonna relax
Turned down all of my invites.
……
In a quiet way, unwind
Doing Christmas right this time.


The Waitresses’ “Christmas Wrapping” lyrics pretty much sets the tone for this Christmas.

Normally I would be getting dress to head to Mass with my dad but this year my new husband really wanted to have Christmas be about us. And, since he's been right on so many other suggestions, this will be the first Christmas where I haven't seen my folks on Christmas Day. Even when I lived 524 miles from them, I made it home for the holidays! I'm a believer in The Color Purple version of church and God so being a Catholic who has decided not to attend Mass this Christmas Eve isn’t a big deal to me. Being a daughter not attend Christmas Eve Mass with Dad is much more of a big deal… but then I think he understands.

 “...have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.”       ~Alice Walker, The Color Purple

We did our Christmasing with my fella's family on Monday and then our Christmasing with my folks yesterday. I have my own tradition of giving her a fruitcake which she loves. I’m usually not a fan until I discovered the Harry and David’s fruitcake confection. This year it completely slipped my mind and when I went to overnight one, they were sold out. Williamsburg, VA was the closest store so on Monday morning at 8am, I did a 40 minute drive there and then back just so that I would have the perfect fruitcake. Even when we don’t want the holidays to be hectic, we make them so just to meet the expectations that we set for ourselves sigh. She was happy so that was what mattered.

My mom is the best gift giver! She has always completely *gotten* me when it comes to little presents, and I have no idea where she finds the silliest things like bat glow-in-the-dark gloves and Skull soap-on-a-rope.

Christmasing for just us has meant Christmas cookies, wearing our Christmas pajamas, and spending time together. Yesterday I baked Pumpkin, Raisin and Ginger Cookies. They're not fancy but they're one of the best cookies I've ever made. Today we went out to support some of our local stores. He’s a gamer so we went into the local game shop. I bought supplies to make a Christmas spider. Tonight we’ll probably watch a Christmas movie and I’ll make a craft. Tomorrow we have a lobster dinner planned (since I’ve been a vegetarian since 1993 and just started eating seafood a few years ago). That’s really how we like to celebrate. Fancy plans are all around us but we’re feeling lucky to have found each other… and we’re just trying to do Christmas right for us this time.



2 comments:

  1. I think you do the right desiscion to celebrate the way you like. It seem to be a perfect holiday to me. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Christmas with just the two of you sounds good! And you still saw family too! I like the idea of God being in us, not in the church, Whichever God or deity you believe in!

    ReplyDelete