Sunday, April 12, 2015

...beautiful blooms and dark decisions...


Flowers grow out of dark moments.

~ Corita Kent


It’s finally lovely outside and all I want to do is nap. I have an upper respiratory infection and while I am getting better each day, I still don’t have much energy. My big outing today was to buy cough drops with the entire weekend being an effort to preserve my energy so that I can make it through an entire workweek.



My yard is a mess. The backyard grass needs to be cut and the flower beds need to be weeded but that will have to wait. Even if it’s a mess, flowers are blooming including the beautiful Bleeding Hearts. The azaleas and the rhododendrons are also looking quite lovely.




Next week I have my first cemetery tour of the season scheduled. I’m a bit hesitant because for starters I still don’t have a voice and I’m coughing a great deal. 

More concerning is that the museum who organizes the tours abruptly dismissed the tour director who has also become a personal friend. I understand that downsizing and whatnot happens in the business world but the way that he explained his dismissal (taking his keys and walking him out of the building while being told that it wasn’t anything he did but…) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. 
Being a tour guide was supposed to be my fun gig… but this treatment of someone by a company who is supposed to be (as the director once stated) “in the people business” doesn’t sit well with me. That and the complete silence communicated about our boss being let go to the tour guides. Shouldn't a company at least send out a message stating there has been a change in leadership?!? 

I’ll obviously continue to have a relationship with the cemetery. After all, my fella and I plan to spend our afterlife there. Perhaps I’ll just need to volunteer directly with the cemetery’s Friends organization. No big decisions have been made yet and I haven’t spoken out (literally… again, no voice) except to *reply all* to the email from our now former boss to the guides detailing what happened.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, wow... I'm sorry to hear you're sick, and also sorry about what happened to your boss/friend. That totally SUCKS, and is not at all professional! Unfortunately, too many businesses work that way. In my opinion, it's extremely underhanded. Of course, there may have been something else going on, but then again, maybe not. And them not telling anyone he supervised is just NOT acceptable.

    Get better soon, and I hope you are able to work things out regarding the cemetery tours to YOUR satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucretia. I appreciate it.

      There are always two sides to a story but the record silence is disconcerting to say the least.

      Delete
  2. Pooh. I'm so sorry that you're still sick. Sigh ... I wish I could just come over and make you chicken soup! I'm sure the allergies aren't helping you get better. Feel better, sweet friend.

    Whoa, NOT COOL. I agree with Lucretia, something more might be going on. BUT the company should have told you that they let him go. I hate when businesses do this because the silence causes employees (and volunteers) to fill in the blanks. I would have been best to just get the truth out there before the employees (and volunteers) fill in the blanks for them. Sigh ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My fella has been the best nurse :)

      I'm currently dying my hair which means I'm slowly getting better.... it's mostly the cough that is left and feeling super tired. Just the universe telling me to take it easy.

      Delete
  3. After the darkness of winter, it feels wonderful to get outside in the sunshine, hands in soil, and work in the garden. Even if it's just weeds and mulch, instead of something more fun. What is the flower in your last photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! I'm looking forward to being in my garden.

      It's a Camellia japonica ( R. L. Wheeler Camellia )

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your friend being let go, I hate downsizing crap. My fiance often worries about losing his contract position because it seems almost weekly they're cutting jobs due to budget issues. Not to mention all the retail shops that have closed down around here. It's scary stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really not cool. I understand how you feel. I also hope you feel better. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was fired for been on sick and the doctor said I that I should not work in catering anymore. You know what ? that was the best thing to happen to me. (bar meeting my wife).
    I love Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) great pic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get well soon! And what a stupid decision to fire your friend and thinking that you'd not get to know that. Would have been more professional to tell you right away... I hope they replace her/him soon or even better, re-hire!

    ReplyDelete