Monday, August 17, 2015

... the goth sailor look & my home away from home (i.e. work)...



"I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes” ~Thoreau

I rarely do outfit posts and this one is super bad because my body looks oddly proportioned from how I twisted my knees in AND because it was 5 am and I was on my way out the door. At the very last minute, I felt like my outfit looked more and more Goth Sailor. If I had had five minutes more I probably would have changed things up a bit. The striped shirt ended up looking a bit frumpy but nevertheless; this was today’s outfit…and today was the first day that folks started recognizing me as the chair of the English Department. I even signed my very first student’s form on the chair’s signature line. I met with a librarian. I sent emails inviting faculty fellows to come to our ENG Department meeting. How in the world did this happen? Who Am I?

I’m starting my tenth year at the university. I’ve become a full professor. I’ve earned tenure. Suddenly I’ve even become a quasi-administrator. Thursday is still the day that I will be officially elected into the position but it’s formality at this point. I’m running unopposed. Everyone *seems* (except maybe me) happy about my appointment. We shall see. We shall see. I'm hoping for a coup :p

When I was asked to become the new chair, I responded with two questions: can I keep my office? (because it’s awesome and I just painted it a mauve that turned out looking like Unicorn Princess Purple a few summers ago); and, do I have to dress differently? I wore my new Pier 1 imports skeleton hand bracelet just so I could feel like myself.

12 comments:

  1. Those are perfectly good questions to ask LOL and you look really professional! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is pretty much my work look except I'm usually all in black. I guess my clothing question was more, "Is it still okay that I rock my vampire belt?" :p

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! And I do hope you can still wear your vampire belt! :D At my Uni the Vice-Dean of Information Sciences has beautiful long dreadlocks, so maybe bats are not bad either?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm totally planning to wear it to the election on Thursday :p

      Nearly everyone on campus knows that I love bats... even my dean :D *Weird* faculty attract students so in the Administration's perspective, I'm just fine.

      Delete
  3. Wow, look at you and how far you've come! Congratulations! But yeah, you have to keep the princess mauve office - they just have to understand that, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, it was part of the negotiations so I get to keep it. I don't get to hang out in it much for the next year but at least I get to move back into the space when the chair term is up.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! You look gorgeous and professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is super generous of you to write!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, it must make the job have a new interest and challenges. Also, I love your jacket, it's an interesting concept goth sailor. lol
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha it was just one of those things... the buttons and the stripes... the way I was wearing a side ponytail... and the frill of the bottom of the skirt. When I looked in the mirror I was like OH MY WORD. It's like a goth sailor! It worked out.

      I'm a horrible outfit post blogger-- the jacket is from Dress Barn; the skirt and top are from WHBM.

      Delete
  6. Sailor is a recent inspiration to me! I know what you mean about angling your body wrong, i have done that before with odd results! Belated congratulations as I am catching up on posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice outfit! I always enjoy professional-meets-goth work outfits.

    ReplyDelete