Sunday, November 1, 2015

...Spooktacular Hallows Eve...



“It takes a lot of time and money to look this cheap, honey,”
~ Dolly Parton, Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business

“It takes a lot of time and money to look this goth, honey,”
~ Me

https://thetaters.bandcamp.com/album/dont-scream-songs-to-keep-you-up-at-night
Available on Bandcamp
Halloween night, my fella and I went to Ashland Coffee & Tea to see the Taters Don’t Scream: Songs to Keep You Up At Night! album release. This was our second year going to see their Halloween show and I think it’s our new tradition. Last year, I admit that I was a bit fussy when Halloween was hijacked from me. Okay, it wasn’t really hijacked merely suggested that we go to a show but I liked the alliteration. Oftentimes, my fella is right. This was one of those times.

Craig aka The Wolfman




The Taters played songs from their new album along with numerous Halloween classics like “The Monster Mash” and “Scooby Doo.” While The Taters have fans across the States, the album opens with a bit from The Bowman Body and was recorded in Ashland. It feels like home.  

Greg aka The Mummy
“I Put A Spell On You” was Halloween perfection! In fact, they said they could make any of their songs have a holiday flare, “Take any song, put it in a minor key… It’s a Halloween song!” Good music and good friends... that makes a very happy Halloween!

Brad aka Dracula
 












“That’s a great Halloween purse! Where did you get it?” I always politely answer and watch them stare at me when I snote the brand. “Wow, you really went all out for Halloween!” referring to the rings and bracelets that I wear on a daily basis.

My fella isn’t goth so sometimes I worry that my goth-flag might be a bit too out there but he’s always proud. When one of his friends commented on my purse, my fella points out the details (he’s a man who appreciates details). “There is velvet on the inside. Show them!”  Or, he points out one of the topics that I’m discussing in my vampire course when someone asks if I’m teaching Twilight. “Well, she actually has her students read criticism that points out that Edward is a sociopath” or he deflects, “Last week she discussed racism in I Am Legend and demonstrates how the movie with Will Smith nods to the books sentiments pre-Civil Rights Movement." 

He knows because he pays attention and understands me. And really, what more could a girl ask for any day of the year.

 


10 comments:

  1. :) I love you two so much ... and I haven't even met your man yet. Happiest and Merriest of Halloweens to a beautiful and awesome couple. And I still have something for you ... it's going to be late, but what's late to people who celebrate Halloween year round? The damned job hunt and RTTP game has hijacked my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at ya! I shared your recent post with Johnathan :) Ed and you looked amazing!

      pshaw, late for Halloween?!? Never! Just early, my dear. This semester isn't roses and sunshine here either. This, too, shall pass for both of us. Virtual HUG!

      Delete
  2. I found myself thinking the exact same thing on Saturday night, how I wished everyone would look this wonderful and whimsical every day of the year. You could not have put that better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a non-Goth fella and worry about being a bit far out for him!

    I think that sounds like a great way to spend Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We spent Halloween sick on the couch which is far more sad than any other plan! Oh, how I wished to go out and dance, but I just felt to crappy to move at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you're feeling better.

      You should totally pick another day and have a Halloween re-do!

      Delete