Monday, February 15, 2016

...Candlemas was fair and bright...



Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog in Pennsylvania, did not see his shadow this year on February 2 and the council concluded that there would be an early spring.  

Their website notes, “Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just impostors.” I find this statement interesting considering that this was Punxsutawney Phil's 130th prognostication and yet groundhogs, at best, live to be 14 years old when living in captivity. I’m not sure if an annual yanking-out-of-one’s-home decreases a lifespan but I certainly do not believe it increases it. Anyhow, their website reveals, “There has only been one Punxsutawney Phil. He has been making predictions for over 125 years!” Yes, their website uses that many exclamation points!!! Fine, they can believe in their magical groundhog. Who am I to judge? (Gazes out at the snow)

Do I sound bitter? Well, no, not really. I just happen to be sitting at my kitchen island gazing out the window at our wintry mix (again!). 

Today my university was closed because they were hit with more snow and ice than our approximate 3 inches.

I do not follow ol P. Phil; I follow the traditions of Candlemas. If you’ve been reading my blog, you know that this means that I *just* took down my Christmas decorations a weekend ago (okay, actually I was sick last weekend so we punted and took down our decorations on Saturday right before Valentine’s, er, Vampire’s Day). 

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Come, Winter, have another flight;
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,

Go Winter, and come not again.

Here’s the thing, Candlemas day was gorgeous. Many of us around here had our windows open. The sky was bright blue without a cloud in view; it was sunny! 

So yeah, I expected Old Man Winter to blow some nasty winter weather our way before I could get back into my garden for a new season. I’m already anticipating the hibiscus blooms and maybe even another year of pumpkins! Gwee.

For now, I’m enjoying the view from inside and I’m enjoying the lovely fragrance and beauty of indoor flowers.

6 comments:

  1. BeUtiful yard! Love all the colour..........your lovely flowers would perish where I live, in or out doors! Our rodent, Wiarton Willie.....slept in, no shadow....of course we have 6 more weeks! If we are lucky! Hahahaha!
    xdebi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! Early spring! I remember last year, I threatened to make soup out of the little bastard, hahahaaha! I would take snow over being bitter cold over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind. We got hit with a snow storm then it turned into freezing rain. I changed my mind. Stupid Groundhog. I am going to make soup out him for sure!

      Delete
  3. One of our neighbours seems to be intending to leave up their cut out Santa sleigh for a long time, but I doubt they believe in Candlemas!

    Maybe Phil is getting bad at predicting in his old age. I am sure an old 125 year old (groundhog) man has better things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather seems to be going backwards, it`s getting colder and we are having a bit of snow again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all of our up and down temperatures, and snow, ice, rain, mud, sunshine, etc., we are going to get whiplash. Not that I'm complaining, you understand. Those 60+ degree days predicted for the weekend are going to be awesome ... even if I have to slog through mud to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete