Saturday, May 14, 2016

...this too shall pass...

 “Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth;

without rain, there would be no life.”
~John Updike

We’ve had about three weeks of rainy, dreary days. The sun came out today and just as I was preparing to go walking, the sky fell…a thunderstorm. But hey, we did have some sun!

Just once this week was I able to walk to and from the train station. As I walked through an old section of DC, I was taken by the flowers- a variety of colors of roses from yard to yard, an amazing Scotch broom, and peonies of amazing shades. I was so taken by one rose bush that towered over me at about 8 ft. It had the largest, most perfect off-white turning into yellow blooms. I stood on the sidewalk just gazing into the yard hoping no one was inside staring back at me. I was so mesmerized by the roses that I even failed to take a picture. I was that in the moment.

This morning before the storm, I snapped a few pictures from my garden. It’s been a terribly busy and stressful week. It’s also been an emotionally challenging one. The flowers remind me that after many, many days of rain, beauty returns. We cannot have the beautiful flowers without those beautiful overcast, rainy days. Ebb and flow, remembering that there are two different ways to read, “This too shall pass.”



8 comments:

  1. Your flowers pics are beautiful Sharon! Your garden seems to be coming along quite nicely!! <3 Quite the retreat for a little self restoration :). This is what umbrellas are for *giggle* Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it would ever stop being so soggy, I would sit out there. In fact, a few weekends ago I put down a trash bag over the cushion so my shorts didn't get as wet ;)

      Delete
  2. P.S. Love the spiderweb pic!!! That is a very very cool web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the plants are always glad for the rain! Although the spiders not so much! I love finding beautiful gardens! I like ones that are a little overgrown, as if they grew up themselves! Like The Secret Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the middle of summer, everything is so grown up that I feel like I am in my own secret garden :D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! It has become a bit of an obsession :D

      Delete